- Charlie LeDuff (Twitter @Charlieleduff/Facebook Charlie LeDuff) and M.L. Elrick (Twitter @elrick/Facebook ML ELRICK/Instagram ml_elrick) are reunited — or is it reignited? — at Red Shovel Network HQ. Shawn Windsor (Twitter @ShawnWindsor) is here, too, while Brandon McAfee (Twitter @Pro_Duecer) keeps things on track as Marc Fellhauer takes care of business elsewhere.
- THE STRAIGHT DOPE: Shawn launches an offensive, defending the Detroit Free Press after Charlie blasted it in a column for Deadline Detroit.
- ML is trying to set the stage for the discussion as Shawn butts in to say “let’s set the stage.”
- The boys discuss sensational storytelling versus sensationalism.
- ML calls Charlie out for not calling ML before Charlie called out the Free Press’ reporting on Kwame Kilpatrick’s text messages.
- ML reads the offending passages from Charlie’s column, while disclosing that he may return to the Free Press — but he adds that’s not why he’s defending the landmark work he and Jim Schaefer did at the Free Press.
- Shawn and Charlie discuss Free Press editorial page columnist Brian Dickerson’s column that praised Charlie as “whip smart,” before coronating him “the clown prince of Detroit journalism.”
- Charlie apologizes to ML … but has no regrets about slamming Dickerson. (In print and in the latest episode of the No BS Newshour)
- ML sets the record straight on the Free Press’ role and motives in the disclosure of Kilpatrick’s text messages.
- Charlie explains how a columnist he said didn’t matter got so deep under his skin.
- ML says No BS should mean No BS.
- Charlie confesses his love for NuWave music.
- Charlie discloses that Fox killed some of his biggest stories.
- Shawn calls Charlie out for his over aggressive approach to touch football. Then he takes a shot at Charlie for using a cliche. Then Charlie apologizes for tackling Shawn. Then Charlie says he loves Shawn’s work, which he reads on the toilet (no offense intended). Then the show deteriorates into a love-fest. Boy, this episode got soft fast!!!
- ML appeals to listeners to support Clark Park. You can learn more and give here.
- THE GREAT DEBATE: After nearly an hour of debate, ML makes the executive decision to put The Great Debate on hold until next week.
- GEEK OF THE WEEK: Advertisers spend a lot of time and effort on commercials to deliver a specific message. So what the hell was up with that Olay ad? And a few others. The overpaid nitwits who came up with them are this week’s honorees. Brandon helps explain why.
- ROOM 7609: Echo & The Bunnymen don’t belong here because anyone who knows anything about good music knows all about them, and all of their music is well-known for its excellence. So what are they doing checking in to the suite reserved for under appreciated NuWave artists? Well, take a listen, because you’ve never heard them quite like this!
- HARD OUT: Please be sure to let our sponsors know you heard them on the podcast! We can’t go on without continued sponsor support, and they really do keep track of referrals from loyal listeners. So if you need a mortgage, consider Hall Financial at Hall Financial | Mortgage Lender | Home Refinance Experts and tell them ML sent you. And if you’re looking for a deal on a Ford, please visit New 2020 Ford & Used Car Dealer in Holly, MI – Szott Ford and let them know ML sent you!
- REPRESENT! Show your Soul of Detroit pride with great merchandise, ranging from our super groovy hockey jerseys, t-shirts, stickers and signed copies of “The Kwame Sutra: Musings on Lust, Life and Leadership from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.” Each copy includes a smart aleck inscription penned personally by ML! Open your heart, open your wallet at www.drewandmikestore.com
Find out more about the podcast at www.mlsoulofdetroit.com, where you’ll find previous episodes and so much more!
Subscribe to the podcast at iTunes, Google Podcasts, Stitcher or wherever quality podcasts are found! And when you check out the podcast, remember to rate it (unless you hate it)!!!
Please let us know if you would like to advertise, or know someone we should hit up.
We always appreciate your feedback at mlsoulofdetroit@gmail or 313-Butterfield8-9070 (aka 313-288-9070). If you leave a message, you could hear your voice on the air!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android |