- M.L. Elrick (Twitter @elrick/Facebook ML ELRICK/Instagram ml_elrick), Shawn Windsor (Twitter @ShawnWindsor), Marc Fellhauer (Twitter @MarcFell) try to school MSU Trustee Brian Mosallam (Twitter @Bmosallam63/Facebook Brian Mosallam). Matt Jennings (Twitter @MattRJennings) auditions for tenure while Joey Zuver, once again, shows more class than anyone else.
- THE STRAIGHT DOPE: Brian Mosallam is running for re-election, but he’s not running from questions. The boys pepper him with questions about Larry Nassar, ESPN’s “Between the Lines” story on MSU athletics, former Michigan governor and former interim MSU president John Engler, whether students taking virtual classes should get a discount on tuition and whether it’s safe to return to sports.
- ML long ago urged his fellow Spartans not to revel in the revelations about notorious University of Michigan Dr. Robert Anderson, despite the tasteless jokes made in Ann Arbor about predatory MSU Dr. Larry Nassar. But ML can’t help wondering where EPSN has been on this story. Mosallam says that doesn’t bother him so much, and shares the advice he gave to his peers at U-M about how to handle their own heart-breaking scandal.
- ML questions the qualifications of MSU AD Bill Beekman. Mosallam calls Beekman one of the smartest people he’s ever met. Tune in to hear his rationale.
- One hundred pounds ago, Brian played football at MSU. Hear what he says when asked if he would return to play next month or opt out of the 2020 season.
- Two of the most controversial MSU trustees in recent times are Joel Ferguson and George Perles. Brian has criticism for one and love for the other. Listen to learn which is which.
- We’re not a political podcast, and we don’t endorse candidates. But Brian has a cute campaign commercial featuring his daughter. Hear it here.
- Want to learn more about Brian? Visit his campaign website here.
- THE GREAT DEBATE: Shawn and Marc still want to pay college athletes. ML thinks they’re already handsomely compensated with scholarships, room and board, tutoring, clothing, swag, travel, training, nutrition, you name it. Of course, he’s right. (Editor’s note: He’s not). But does COVID-19 change the equation? Listen as ML gets hammered as he tries to make his case.
- GEEK OF THE WEEK: The boys each have multiple great candidates, but the grand prize winner is a politician who told everyone to mark his words and use them against him if he turned out to be a hypocrite. Well, he is. So we did.
- THIS WEEK IN SOFT HISTORY Dr. Matt Jennings has a great connection this week — with everything but key moments in history!
- ROOM 7609: ML once again tries to turn Duran Duran into the house band in Room 7609. This time, it’s with “Khanada,” the B-side to “Careless Memories.” Somehow, that leads to a discussion of Duran Duran’s cover songs album. Then ML teases listeners with hints about the next two selections for the NuWave Suite. And, finally, he announces that next week Room 7609 will book its first ever live guest!
- HARD OUT: Find out how you can sponsor the show and get a one-of-a-kind token of our appreciation. For a donation for $20 or more via the link on our homepage, www.mlsoulofdetroit.com, we will record a message meant JUST FOR YOU. We call it “cam-e-soul.”
- Please be sure to let our sponsors know you heard them on the podcast! We are pretty picky about who we do businesses with, so it’s important we keep the support of business we believe will do right by you. And since we can’t go on without continued sponsor support, please let our trusted partners know you appreciate them. They really do keep track of referrals from loyal listeners like you!
- Hope Not Handcuffs is an initiative started by Families Against Narcotics (FAN), aimed at bringing law enforcement and community organizations together in an effort to find viable treatment options for individuals seeking help to reduce dependency with heroin, prescription drugs, and alcohol. Find out more at www.hopenothandcuffs.com
- Clean up your act with Manscaped’s Lawnmower 3.0 — it’s built for a man, but strong enough for a woman! Go to www.manscaped.com and get 20% off and free shipping with promo code ML. Send proof of your purchase to mlsoulofdetr[email protected] and ML will send you an autographed “Kwame Sutra.”
- If you’re looking for a partner for your business and marketing communication needs, we recommend our friends at Sir Speedy Printing. To find out what they can do for you, visit www.sirspeedydetroit.com or call 586-777-7500. Tell them ML sent you!
- When it’s time to kick back with a tasty hometown classic brew, reach for an Altes! Learn more about which stores and other quality establishments carry these authentically Detroit suds at www.altes.beer
- You can’t beat the meat you get at The Butchery! Mention ML and get a free pound of bacon with a purchase of $50 or more. Learn more at www.thebutcherysl.com
- Don’t lose your mind trying to make sense of the financial markets. Let Luke Nowacki of Pinnacle help you make the right decisions that will help keep you on firm financial footing. Contact Luke at www.pinnaclewealthstrategies.com and be sure to tell him you heard about him on the Soul of Detroit!
- If you need a mortgage or want to refinance your new digs or save on high-interest debt, contact Hall Financial at https://davidhallmortgage.com/soul or 248-308-5000 and let them know ML told you to call!
- If you’re looking to sell your home or buy a better crib, we humbly recommend Lindsey Broadwell of Broadwell Homes, who you can find at BroadwellHomes.com or 248-767-7767. Make sure Lindsey knows you where you heard about her and that you’ve got SOUL.
- You — YES, YOU — can sponsor the show by hitting the DONATE button at www.mlsoulofdetroit.com. NO AMOUNT IS TOO SMALL (or too large)!
- REPRESENT! Show your Soul of Detroit pride with great merchandise, ranging from our hip trucker hats, retro keychains, masks and gaiters, super groovy hockey jerseys, comfy logo t-shirts, stickers, neon clocks and signed copies of “The Kwame Sutra: Musings on Lust, Life and Leadership from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.” Each copy includes a smart aleck inscription penned personally by ML! Open your heart, open your wallet at www.drewandmikestore.com
- Please subscribe to and share the podcast — your endorsement is very powerful!
- Please let us know if you would like to advertise, or know someone we should hit up.
- We always appreciate your feedback at [email protected] or 313-Butterfield8-9070 (aka 313-288-9070). If you leave a message, you could hear your voice on the air!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download