- M.L. Elrick (Twitter @elrick/Facebook ML ELRICK/Instagram ml_elrick), Shawn Windsor (Twitter @ShawnWindsor), Marc Fellhauer (Twitter @MarcFell) and Detroit Free Press contributing columnist Darren Nichols (Twitter @dnick12/Facebook Darren Nichols) labor to make sense of union matters. Matt Jennings (Twitter @MattRJennings) joins us later with a latte while Joey Zuver checks with his shop steward on the grievance he filed over his working conditions.
- THE STRAIGHT DOPE: ML is laboring to get his energy up as he prepares to celebrate Labor Day, albeit a day or two late.
- Darren discusses what it was like to hit the picket line during the last great newspaper strike in American history. Shawn and ML share how they handled efforts to recruit them as replacement workers.
- On yet another tangent, ML recounts his trip to corporate HQ with Jim Schaefer and the warning they received to NOT TOUCH THE BIG BLUE BALL — OR ELSE!!!
- Darren was 24 years old when the 1995 Detroit News and Free Press lockout interrupted his career. He discusses how he got by.
- Marc wonders how union members felt about Mitch Albom’s actions during the lockout. Darren doesn’t pull any punches.
- Marc asks ML if he supports ALL unions. The short answer is “Yes.” For the full answer, you’ll have to listen. And, modestly, we think it’s worth your time.
- ML’s coverage of Detroit Will Breathe’s lawsuit against the City of Detroit and Detroit Police inspired some nasty emails. He reads some, and invites the rest of the crew to share some of their “favorite” hate mail. Readers did not like the story about protesters suing Detroit or the one about a federal judge temporarily halting some tactics.
- For those of you keeping track at home, by this point in the show there have been several Kwame Kilpatrick stories worked into the narrative. Listen and see if you can catch them all!
- ML plays a nasty voicemail he received at Fox 2. It was included in his look back at some of 2017’s greatest (s)hits. If you missed it, please watch it here.
- THE GREAT DEBATE: What should the public make of stories based on anonymous sources — and do reporters use them too much? Listen before you answer, because while you may hate some stories based on anonymous sources, I guarantee there’s at least one major investigation you love that was supported by unnamed sources.
- GEEK OF THE WEEK: The peasants are revolting! Shawn calls a wildcat strike and refuses to work until ML agrees to name his Geek before Shawn takes his turn. Reluctantly, ML makes the concession. Only after it’s too late, does ML realize that he is a victim of an elegant plot to discredit him! GADZOOKS!!!
- THIS WEEK IN SOFT HISTORY: It only sounds like Professor Jennings is teaching history from a diving bell, but we hope his latest deep dive into the past is worth your time.
- ROOM 7609: Can you guess the Depeche Mode B-side that was SO successful that even 30 years after it was recorded it merited airplay on FM radio in Muskegon over Labor Day weekend? LISTEN AND LEARN as B-sides month continues in the NuWave suite.
- HARD OUT: Find out how you can sponsor the show and get a one-of-a-kind token of our appreciation. For a donation fo $20 or more via the link on our homepage, www.mlsoulofdetroit.com, we will record a message meant JUST FOR YOU. We call it “cam-e-soul.”
- Please be sure to let our sponsors know you heard them on the podcast! We are pretty picky about who we do businesses with, so it’s important we keep the support of business we believe will do right by you. And since we can’t go on without continued sponsor support, please let our trusted partners know you appreciate them. They really do keep track of referrals from loyal listeners like you!
- If you’re looking for a partner for your business and marketing communication needs, we recommend our friends at Sir Speedy Printing. To find out what they can do for you, visit www.sirspeedydetroit.com or call 586-777-7500. Tell them ML sent you!
- If you need a mortgage or want to refinance your new digs or save on high-interest debt, contact Hall Financial here or call 248-308-5000 and let them know ML told you to call!
- When it’s time to kick back with a tasty hometown classic brew, reach for an Altes! Learn more about which stores and other quality establishments carry these authentically Detroit suds at www.altes.beer
- Don’t lose your mind trying to make sense of the financial markets. Let Luke Nowacki of Pinnacle help you make the right decisions that will help keep you on firm financial footing. Contact Luke and be sure to tell him you heard about him on the Soul of Detroit!
- You can’t beat the meat you get at The Butchery! Mention ML and get a free pound of bacon with a purchase of $50 or more. Learn more at www.thebutcherysl.com.
- REPRESENT! Show your Soul of Detroit pride with great merchandise, ranging from our hip new hats, super groovy hockey jerseys, t-shirts, stickers and signed copies of “The Kwame Sutra: Musings on Lust, Life and Leadership from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.” Each copy includes a smart aleck inscription penned personally by ML.
- Please subscribe to and share the podcast — your endorsement is very powerful!
- We always appreciate your feedback at [email protected] or 313-Butterfield8-9070 (aka 313-288-9070). If you leave a message, you could hear your voice on the air!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download