- A stealth effort to wipe out Mayor Mike Duggan and a top councilwoman emerged this week, so we turn to our city hall insider Darren Nichols for his insights. M.L. Elrick (Twitter @elrick/Facebook ML ELRICK/Instagram ml_elrick), Marc Fellhauer (Twitter @MarcFell) and Shawn Windsor (Twitter @ShawnWindsor) sit in rapt attention as Nichols (Twitter @dnick12/Facebook Darren Nichols) breaks it down. Matt Jennings (Twitter @MattRJennings) crams for his exam while Joey Zuver concentrates on his remote learning.
- THE STRAIGHT DOPE: Just when candidates thought they had secured a spot on the ballot, opponents are trying to take them out on technicalities. ML and Darren discuss whether their success could return a measure of unpredictability to city council unseen since the days of Monica Conyers, Sharon McPhail and Kay Everett.
- Who is trying to take out Mayor Mike Duggan and Councilwoman Janee Ayers — and why?
- Marc asks who is running for the city-wide council seats, and why it matters where you run from. ML discusses his decision not to run city-wide — and why some people may be regretting their decision NOT to run.
- ML and Darren reminisce about the bad ol’ days of Detroit City Clowncil.You can follow ML’s campaign on social media using the handle ML4DETROIT or by visiting his website, www.ML4DETROIT.com
- Shawn, feeling left out, shares tales from the wrong side of the track … in Ann Arbor!
- GEEK OF THE WEEK: A woman who rented “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” wins this week’s award — but not for renting “Sabrina the Teenage Witch.”
- THIS WEEK IN SOFT HISTORY: Matt is back and better than … (n)ever?
- ROOM 7609: Listener Craig compares “The Call” to “The Outfield,” prompting a deep dive into the two bands and a performance of “Who’s That Man.”
- FIRST AMENDMENT TIME: We turn the show over to your feedback … and, of course, Shawn is a hot topic!
- HARD OUT: Need a new ride? Roy O’Brien has been putting metro Detroiters on wheels for 74 years. Before you shop anywhere else, get on the right track to 9 Mile and Mack and check out their super groovy showroom. Find our more at www.royobrien.net.
- Stop looking so terrible and go get a haircut from Lady Janes. Visit Lady Janes website, find the nearest location and book your appointment today.
- Don’t lose your mind trying to make sense of the financial markets. Let Luke Nowacki of Pinnacle help you make the right decisions that will help keep you on firm financial footing. Contact Luke at www.pinnaclewealthstrategies.com and be sure to tell him you heard about him on the Soul of Detroit!
- If you need a mortgage or want to refinance your new digs or save on high-interest debt, contact Hall Financial at https://davidhallmortgage.com/soul or 248-308-5000 and let them know ML told you to call!
- You — YES, YOU — can sponsor the show by hitting the DONATE button at www.mlsoulofdetroit.com. NO AMOUNT IS TOO SMALL (or too large)!
- REPRESENT! Show your Soul of Detroit pride with great merchandise, ranging from our hip trucker hats, retro keychains, masks and gaiters, super groovy hockey jerseys, comfy logo t-shirts, stickers, neon clocks and signed copies of “The Kwame Sutra: Musings on Lust, Life and Leadership from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.” Each copy includes a smart aleck inscription penned personally by ML! Open your heart, open your wallet at www.drewandmikestore.com
- Please subscribe to and share the podcast — your endorsement is very powerful!
- We always appreciate your feedback at mlsoulofdetroit@gmail or 313-Butterfield8-9070 (aka 313-288-9070). If you leave a message, you could hear your voice on the air!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download