- Detroit City FC Founder and CEO Sean Mann (Twitter @mrseanmann/Facebook Sean Mann/www.detcityfc.com) joins M.L. Elrick (Twitter @elrick/Facebook ML ELRICK/Instagram ml_elrick), Shawn Windsor (Twitter @ShawnWindsor) and Marc Fellhauer (Twitter @MarcFell) to tell some behind-the-scenes stories about the state of the Beautiful Game in Detroit
- THE STRAIGHT DOPE: Detroit City FC adds a WOMEN’s team to help bring soccer fans together — but ends up exposing a rift between Marc and Shawn!
- While Shawn and Marc spar, ML and Sean extol the virtues of women’s soccer, which has been more successful and offers more opportunities than the men’s game.
- Sean reveals how DCFC’s bid to go pro last year crumbled — then was saved! — without anyone really noticing. IT’S ANOTHER SOD EXCLUSIVE!
- Before you try to start your own pro sports league, you should hear Sean’s story about dealing with clowns like the d-bag from the desert.
- Sean discusses how DCFC transitioned from plucky amateurs to continent-crossing pros. There’s more costs, more travel — yet the ticket price remains the same as always! Sean explains that, too.
- Is the key to DCFC’s success the low cost, the amenities, the quaint confines of Keyworth? Sean says it’s the atmosphere — THANK YOU, NORTHERN GUARD!!!
- For the second year in a row, ML warns Sean “don’t screw it up!” That admonition worked last year. Here’s hoping it works again in 2020!
- THE GREAT DEBATE: A middle school has a policy that says you cannot refuse to dance with someone who asks you to cut a rug. The goal is to make sure no one feels left out. Two meanies don’t like the policy while one of the boys, who, like Billy Idol, was often dancing with himself, sees some merit in the policy. Find out who’s who!
- GEEK OF THE WEEK: A philandering, jealousy-crazed, n-bomb dropping judge says she’s not a racist and respects everyone – except maybe the spouse she cheated on for 8 years – is this week’s geek. Listen to find out who she is – and how she caused trouble among the boys in the basement.
- ROOM 7609: In honor of Sean and DCFC, ML books New Order and their 1990 World Cup song into the NuWave suite, then the triumvirate offers their take on a surprisingly upbeat and poppy tune from the Manchester Four.
- HARD OUT: Please be sure to let our sponsors know you heard them on the podcast! We can’t go on without continued sponsor support, and they really do keep track of referrals from loyal listeners. So if you need a mortgage, consider Hall Financial and tell them ML sent you. If you’re looking for a deal on a Ford, please visit Szott Ford and let them know ML sent you! Looking for a new career? Check out our friends at Northwestern Tech. And when it’s time to kick back, reach for a nice cold Altes! Here’s where to find a truly Detroit brew.
- Become a show sponsor yourself by donating at ttps://www.paypal.me/soulofdetroit
- REPRESENT! Show your Soul of Detroit pride with great merchandise, ranging from our super groovy hockey jerseys, t-shirts, stickers and signed copies of “The Kwame Sutra: Musings on Lust, Life and Leadership from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.” Each copy includes a smart aleck inscription penned personally by ML! Open your heart, open your wallet at www.drewandmikestore.com
Find out more about the podcast at www.mlsoulofdetroit.com, where you’ll find previous episodes and so much more!
Subscribe to the podcast at iTunes, Google Podcasts, Stitcher or wherever quality podcasts are found! And when you check out the podcast, remember to rate it (unless you hate it)!!!
Please let us know if you would like to advertise, or know someone we should hit up.
We always appreciate your feedback at [email protected] or 313-Butterfield8-9070 (aka 313-288-9070). If you leave a message, you could hear your voice on the air!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download