- Under the watchful eye of just about the only person on Earth who scares M.L. Elrick (Twitter @elrick/Facebook ML ELRICK/Instagram ml_elrick), Marc Fellhauer (Twitter @MarcFell) and Shawn Windsor (Twitter @ShawnWindsor) mind their Ps and Qs at Red Shovel HQ. You can see who we’re talking about and watch much of the show by clicking this link to the Facebook live version.
- THE STRAIGHT DOPE: Due to a controversy springing from allegations that ML’s wife trash picks wreaths and other holiday decorations — and questions about why they are still up so long after the holidays — Tresa Baldas (@tbaldas) of the Free Press drops in to set the record straight.
- Tresa talks about some of her biggest stories for the Free Press, including a landmark investigation into sexual assaults at Jamaican resorts.
- A passing reference to ‘thugs’ gives rise to a spirited discussion of whether some words should no longer be uttered by certain people.
- Marc inquires whether Fox 2 watered down ML’s final investigation, which was completed but never aired. (Instead, the station assigned the story to Charlie Langton, whose report aired last week)
- One word that Tresa would like banned is “cheap” — at least in reference to ML, who freely acknowledges being “frugal.”
- THE GREAT DEBATE: “Blazing Saddles” is classic both as a comedy and as a western. A true classic. But could it be made today? The boys discuss, with help from the womenfolk.
- GEEK OF THE WEEK: Penn State has another football coach who could be ensnared in a Jerry Sandusky-related controversy. Find out who — and whether he’s been Nittany Lyin’ about what he knew about what happened at his previous post.
- ROOM 7609: This week’s guest is SO obscure they don’t have a Wikipedia page! Nevertheless, Days of Sorrow is a lost treasure that will transport you to the early 1980s. Check them out and ponder which iconic NuWave bands they sound like.
- HARD OUT: Please be sure to let our sponsors know you heard them on the podcast! We can’t go on without continued sponsor support, and they really do keep track of referrals from loyal listeners. So if you need a mortgage, consider Hall Financial and tell them ML sent you. If you like to place a wager, open an account at My Bookie Use promo code SOUL to double your initial deposit!
- If you’re looking for a deal on a Ford, please visit Szott Ford and let them know ML sent you!
- Become a show sponsor by donating at PayPal.
- REPRESENT! Show your Soul of Detroit pride with great merchandise, ranging from our super groovy hockey jerseys, t-shirts, stickers and signed copies of “The Kwame Sutra: Musings on Lust, Life and Leadership from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.” Each copy includes a smart aleck inscription penned personally by ML! Open your heart, open your wallet at www.drewandmikestore.com
- Find out more about the podcast at www.mlsoulofdetroit.com, where you’ll find previous episodes and so much more!
- Subscribe to the podcast at iTunes, Google Podcasts, Stitcher or wherever quality podcasts are found! And when you check out the podcast, remember to rate it (unless you hate it)!!!
- Please let us know if you would like to advertise, or know someone we should hit up.
- We always appreciate your feedback at [email protected] or 313-Butterfield8-9070 (aka 313-288-9070). If you leave a message, you could hear your voice on the air!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download