- A listener lays into Shawn Windsor before M.L. and Darren Nichols compare a current city council controversy with some of the crazy councils of their past. Detroit Free Press contributing columnist Darren Nichols (Twitter @dnick12/Facebook Darren Nichols) is the adult in the room polluted by M.L. Elrick (Twitter @elrick/Facebook ML ELRICK/Instagram ml_elrick), Marc Fellhauer (Twitter @MarcFell) and Shawn Windsor (Twitter @ShawnWindsor). Joey Zuver hides out to work the levers and keep it clever.
- THE STRAIGHT DOPE: The show starts off with a bang as listener John gives Shawn both barrels. Shawn takes it with aplomb, then complains that only ML would use a word like “aplomb.”
- There is a perception that all is rosy among Detroit’s nine city council members. But a recent report in The Detroit News has ML and Darren wondering whether the real issue is that there are fewer reporters keeping an eye on city hall than ever before. Read the News’ scoop here.
- Darren and ML reminisce about some of the outrageous city council members they covered, from the Mad Hatter to Shrek.
- A few weeks after ML was asked some very tough questions, a new magazine article accuses the media of not asking ML any tough questions. Marc asks Darren for his take on the author.
- GEEK OF THE WEEK: Shawn draws out this segment by complaining at length that it goes too long. Sheesh! (ML nevertheless rises above the din for the win!)
- THIS WEEK IN SOFT HISTORY:Professor Jennings takes the week off to work on his syllabus for next semester.
- ROOM 7609: No-hit wonder King checks into the NuWave suite with “Love and Pride,” a bumping song with a ludicrous video.
- FIRST AMENDMENT TIME: Our listeners sound off!
- HARD OUT: Need a new ride? Roy O’Brien has been putting metro Detroiters on wheels for 74 years. Before you shop anywhere else, get on the right track to 9 Mile and Mack and check out their super groovy showroom. Find our more at www.royobrien.net.
- Stop looking so terrible and go get a haircut from Lady Janes. Visit Lady Janes website, find the nearest location and book your appointment today.
- Don’t lose your mind trying to make sense of the financial markets. Let Luke Nowacki of Pinnacle help you make the right decisions that will help keep you on firm financial footing. Contact Luke at www.pinnaclewealthstrategies.com and be sure to tell him you heard about him on the Soul of Detroit!
- If you need a mortgage or want to refinance your new digs or save on high-interest debt, contact Hall Financial at https://davidhallmortgage.com/soul or 248-308-5000 and let them know ML told you to call!
- You — YES, YOU — can sponsor the show by hitting the DONATE button at www.mlsoulofdetroit.com. NO AMOUNT IS TOO SMALL (or too large)!
- REPRESENT! Show your Soul of Detroit pride with great merchandise, ranging from our hip trucker hats, retro keychains, masks and gaiters, super groovy hockey jerseys, comfy logo t-shirts, stickers, neon clocks and signed copies of “The Kwame Sutra: Musings on Lust, Life and Leadership from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.” Each copy includes a smart aleck inscription penned personally by ML! Open your heart, open your wallet at www.drewandmikestore.com
- Please subscribe to and share the podcast — your endorsement is very powerful!
- We always appreciate your feedback at mlsoulofdetroit@gmail or 313-Butterfield8-9070 (aka 313-288-9070). If you leave a message, you could hear your voice on the air!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download