- ML is running for Detroit City Council. Plus, Elrick (Twitter @elrick/Facebook ML ELRICK/Instagram ml_elrick), Marc Fellhauer (Twitter @MarcFell) and Shawn Windsor (Twitter @ShawnWindsor) sit in rapt attention as Darren Nichols and John Rutherford offer tributes to the late Benny Napoleon and Alto Reed. Matt Jennings (Twitter @MattRJennings) tries to keep his New Year’s resolution to be funny while Joey Zuver suppresses a gale of giggles.
- THE STRAIGHT DOPE: Detroit Free Press contributing columnist and recurring Soul of Detroit special guest star Darren Nichols shares his poignant memories of Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon — who is perhaps Detroit’s highest profile victim of COVID-19. Watch D-Nick’s moving video tribute on Facebook page ML Elrick, listen to it in the audio version of the podcast, or read what Darren wrote in the Free Press here.
- John Rutherford, member of the Silver Bullet Band, leader of the Motor City Horns, and co-owner of the Cadieux Cafe, tells some tales about Bob Seger’s late, great saxophone player Alto Reed.
- Not to be outdone, Shawn reflects on the passing of former Detroit Free Press sports editor Joe Distelheim, the kind of boss who changed lives. ML uses this occasion to read portions of Shawn’s column — the rare obituary in which both the writer AND the subject of the obituary show off their prowess with prose.
- Somehow, the conversation turns to ML’s admiration for the mid-1980s Buick Riviera, one of the most beautiful pieces of sheet metal he’s ever owned. He also waxes nostalgic about his 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham and 1978 Pontiac Gran Prix.
- Finally, ML explains why he left the Detroit Free Press to embark on a campaign for Detroit City Council in District 4, where he has lived for more than 20 years. If you’d more, just listen. If you’d like to support his candidacy, you can contribute by clicking on this link.
- THE GREAT DEBATE: Why would anyone run for office — let alone give up a great career to get into politics?
- GEEK OF THE WEEK: Shawn pounds the Cruzer for his hypocrisy, Marc calls out Alec Baldwin’s (current) wife for cultural appropriation, and ML chooses a politician whose claims about the Deep State are only backed by his own status as a member of the … Deep State!
- THIS WEEK IN SOFT HISTORY: Matt made a resolution to be funny. Find out how it’s going, just one week into the new year…
- HARD OUT: Need a new ride? Roy O’Brien has been putting metro Detroiters on wheels for 74 years. Before you shop anywhere else, get on the right track to 9 Mile and Mack and check out their super groovy showroom. Find our more at www.royobrien.net.
- You can’t beat the meat you get at The Butchery! Mention ML and get a free pound of bacon with a purchase of $50 or more. Learn more at www.thebutcherysl.com
- Don’t lose your mind trying to make sense of the financial markets. Let Luke Nowacki of Pinnacle help you make the right decisions that will help keep you on firm financial footing. Contact Luke at www.pinnaclewealthstrategies.com and be sure to tell him you heard about him on the Soul of Detroit!
- If you need a mortgage or want to refinance your new digs or save on high-interest debt, contact Hall Financial at https://davidhallmortgage.com/soul or 248-308-5000 and let them know ML told you to call!
- You — YES, YOU — can sponsor the show by hitting the DONATE button at www.mlsoulofdetroit.com. NO AMOUNT IS TOO SMALL (or too large)!
- REPRESENT! Show your Soul of Detroit pride with great merchandise, ranging from our hip trucker hats, retro keychains, masks and gaiters, super groovy hockey jerseys, comfy logo t-shirts, stickers, neon clocks and signed copies of “The Kwame Sutra: Musings on Lust, Life and Leadership from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.” Each copy includes a smart aleck inscription penned personally by ML! Open your heart, open your wallet at www.drewandmikestore.com
- Please subscribe to and share the podcast — your endorsement is very powerful!
- We always appreciate your feedback at mlsoulofdetroit@gmail or 313-Butterfield8-9070 (aka 313-288-9070). If you leave a message, you could hear your voice on the air!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download