- Star War author Charles Soule forsakes Skywalker Ranch for the Red Shovel basement to rap about his career as a comic book writer and novelist. M.L. Elrick (Twitter @elrick/Facebook ML ELRICK/Instagram ml_elrick) pitches his Kilpatrick book proposal to Soule while Marc Fellhauer (Twitter @MarcFell) and Shawn Windsor (Twitter @ShawnWindsor) Marvel at the breadth of Soule’s work. Daredevil Joey Zuver doesn’t see a problem with any of it — he SENSES a problem.
- THE STRAIGHT DOPE: ML makes news off the top, calling for Detroit City Councilman Gabe Leland to resign IMMEDIATELY. ML has been exposing Leland’s wrongdoing for years.
- Charles talks about his latest endeavor, the new Star Wars series “The High Republic.” Find out more about his work at https://www.charlessoule.com
- Charles, who pronounces his last name “soul,” tells the Soul crew how he went from lawyer to comic book writer, musician, novelist and screenwriter. He has a bunch of his own titles, but has also written Daredevil, She-Hulk and Death of Wolverine, among other super groovy comics. Oh, he also speaks Mandarin. (Yeah, ML is jealous…just not about the Chinese language skills, though that IS pretty cool!)
- Marc asks what it’s like to start writing about characters that are so well-established.
- Shawn seeks out some tips on writing. Shawn’s bosses hope he took some notes.
- GEEK OF THE WEEK: A home inspector who did more than tickle Elmo takes this week’s prize.
- ROOM 7609: Incredibly, Marc claims he has not heard of Yazoo, known on this side of the pond as Yaz. The iconic New Wave duo sings about something Marc is very familiar with in their tune “Bad Connection.”
- HARD OUT: Need a new ride? Roy O’Brien has been putting metro Detroiters on wheels for 74 years. Before you shop anywhere else, get on the right track to 9 Mile and Mack and check out their super groovy showroom. Find our more at www.royobrien.net.
- Stop looking so terrible and go get a haircut from Lady Janes. Visit Lady Janes website, find the nearest location and book your appointment today.
- Don’t lose your mind trying to make sense of the financial markets. Let Luke Nowacki of Pinnacle help you make the right decisions that will help keep you on firm financial footing. Contact Luke at www.pinnaclewealthstrategies.com and be sure to tell him you heard about him on the Soul of Detroit!
- If you need a mortgage or want to refinance your new digs or save on high-interest debt, contact Hall Financial at https://davidhallmortgage.com/soul or 248-308-5000 and let them know ML told you to call!
- You — YES, YOU — can sponsor the show by hitting the DONATE button at www.mlsoulofdetroit.com. NO AMOUNT IS TOO SMALL (or too large)!
- REPRESENT! Show your Soul of Detroit pride with great merchandise, ranging from our hip trucker hats, retro keychains, masks and gaiters, super groovy hockey jerseys, comfy logo t-shirts, stickers, neon clocks and signed copies of “The Kwame Sutra: Musings on Lust, Life and Leadership from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.” Each copy includes a smart aleck inscription penned personally by ML! Open your heart, open your wallet at www.drewandmikestore.com
- Please subscribe to and share the podcast — your endorsement is very powerful!
- We always appreciate your feedback at mlsoulofdetroit@gmail or 313-Butterfield8-9070 (aka 313-288-9070). If you leave a message, you could hear your voice on the air!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download