- M.L. Elrick (Twitter @elrick/Facebook ML ELRICK/Instagram ml_elrick), Shawn Windsor (Twitter @ShawnWindsor), Marc Fellhauer (Twitter @MarcFell) and Matt Jennings (Twitter @MattRJennings) have a stable connection this week. And we hope that’s a reference to their internet hook-up. Joey Zuver continues to be our rock.
- THE STRAIGHT DOPE: Before he even introduces the podcast line-up, ML whines that he still has not been called up to play for his neighborhood softball team. He’s a five tool player: Run, hit, catch, throw, Allen wrench.
- There has been SO MUCH conflicting information on the novel coronavirus, known to some as COVID-19, that the boys called in Kristen Jordan Shamus (Twitter @KristenShamus) of the Detroit Free Press to cut through all the noise.
- Does the coronavirus come with long-lasting after effects? Why did experts advise against masks before recommending masks? Why are more people getting the bug but fewer people are dying? What should we believe about hydroxychloroquine? What’s this about someone using Klondike bars as a prophylactic? Kristen breaks it down.
- After nearly 300 eggheads said they are concerned COVID-19 might be airborne, Marc asks Kristen whether she would feel safer hanging out indoors or with the mostly-maskless gang at Diamond Lake. What did she say? C’mon! You know you have to listen to learn!
- Turns out there are some flags Shawn likes! Listen and learn.
- THE GREAT DEBATE: The media has done a GREAT JOB covering the coronavirus, at great risk to their own health. So why aren’t we hearing more about whether New York City really needed all those ventilators they requested? That’s just one of the questions the boys debate as they take a hard look at why some issues that were once front page stories have miraculously disappeared — just like that novel coronavirus thingee was supposed to.
- GEEK OF THE WEEK: We keep the competition stiff, but the guy in the video below still manages to run away with this week’s prize — after calling Brooklyn 9-1-1.
- THIS WEEK IN SOFT HISTORY: Professor Jennings somehow stays on track as the lunatics try to take over the asylum.
- ROOM 7609: You’ll recognize the voice you hear singing “Are Friends Electric” for Tubeway Army. But do you know his real name. Or how he got his stage name? Or what science fiction story inspired this song — and a cinematic classic? The answers are waiting next to Gideon’s Bible on the nightstand in Room 7609. Check in to check it out.
- HARD OUT: Find out how you can sponsor the show and get a one-of-a-kind token of our appreciation. For a donation fo $20 or more via the link on our homepage, www.mlsoulofdetroit.com, we will record a message meant JUST FOR YOU. We call it “cam-e-soul.”
- Please be sure to let our sponsors know you heard them on the podcast! We are pretty picky about who we do businesses with, so it’s important we keep the support of business we believe will do right by you. And since we can’t go on without continued sponsor support, please let our trusted partners know you appreciate them. They really do keep track of referrals from loyal listeners like you!
- If you’re looking to sell your home or buy a better crib, we humbly recommend Lindsey Broadwell of Broadwell Homes, who you can find at BroadwellHomes.com or 248-767-7767. Make sure Lindsey knows you where you heard about her and that you’ve got SOUL.
- If you need a mortgage or want to refinance your new digs or save on high-interest debt, contact Hall Financial here or call 248-308-5000 and let them know ML told you to call!
- When it’s time to kick back with a tasty hometown classic brew, reach for an Altes! Learn more about which stores and other quality establishments carry these authentically Detroit suds at www.altes.beer
- Don’t lose your mind trying to make sense of the financial markets. Let Luke Nowacki of Pinnacle help you make the right decisions that will help keep you on firm financial footing. Contact Luke and be sure to tell him you heard about him on the Soul of Detroit!
- You can’t beat the meat you get at The Butchery! Mention ML and get a free pound of bacon with a purchase of $50 or more. Learn more at www.thebutcherysl.com.
- Szott Automotive Group dealerships are BACK IN BUSINESS! Check out www.dealsintheD.com for details — and let them know ML sent you!
- See Detroit from a whole new perspective on a Michigan Pedaler peddle pub! Learn more at www.michiganpedaler.com. Be sure to tell them who told you about them!
- REPRESENT! Show your Soul of Detroit pride with great merchandise, ranging from our hip new hats, super groovy hockey jerseys, t-shirts, stickers and signed copies of “The Kwame Sutra: Musings on Lust, Life and Leadership from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.” Each copy includes a smart aleck inscription penned personally by ML.
- Please subscribe to and share the podcast — your endorsement is very powerful!
- We always appreciate your feedback at [email protected] or 313-Butterfield8-9070 (aka 313-288-9070). If you leave a message, you could hear your voice on the air!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download