- Nasty voicemails and great stories from one of ML’s journalism heroes provide some heat in the midst of an epic snowstorm. M.L. Elrick (Twitter @elrick/Facebook ML ELRICK/Instagram ml_elrick), Marc Fellhauer (Twitter @MarcFell) and Shawn Windsor (Twitter @ShawnWindsor) catch up with Gerry Shields (Twitter @retail_politics) while Matt Jennings reviews his Soft History notes and Joey Zuver sharpens his snow skates.
- THE STRAIGHT DOPE: ML plays the sympathy card by playing a voicemail he got seven years ago from an unsympathetic Fox 2 viewer after ML got manhandled by some cops in a church. Listen for the voicemail, watch the story here.
- Gerry Shields, author of “The Front Row: My Jagged Journey Recording American History from Reagan to Trump” and host of the Retail Politics Podcast, dials in to talk about some high- and low-lights from his journalism career.
- ML plays the nasty voicemail his wife Tresa Baldas got after a front-page story. Apparently, the caller doesn’t know how to pronounce her surname.
- GEEK OF THE WEEK: The Lombardi Trophy designer’s daughter wins our award for what seemed to be a campaign to remind people HER DAD DESIGNED THE LOMBARDI TROPHY.
- THIS WEEK IN SOFT HISTORY: Perfesser Matt is back.
- ROOM 7609: New New Wave bands are IN AGAIN, which is why ML plays “Disconnected Lines” by Risk Risk”
- FIRST AMENDMENT TIME: Our viewers and listeners take over the show, finally providing some quality content to an hour of their lives most people wish they could take back.
- HARD OUT: Need a new ride? Roy O’Brien has been putting metro Detroiters on wheels for 74 years. Before you shop anywhere else, get on the right track to 9 Mile and Mack and check out their super groovy showroom. Find our more at www.royobrien.net.
- Stop looking so terrible and go get a haircut from Lady Janes. Visit Lady Janes website, find the nearest location and book your appointment today.
- Don’t lose your mind trying to make sense of the financial markets. Let Luke Nowacki of Pinnacle help you make the right decisions that will help keep you on firm financial footing. Contact Luke at www.pinnaclewealthstrategies.com and be sure to tell him you heard about him on the Soul of Detroit!
- If you need a mortgage or want to refinance your new digs or save on high-interest debt, contact Hall Financial at https://davidhallmortgage.com/soul or 248-308-5000 and let them know ML told you to call!
- You — YES, YOU — can sponsor the show by hitting the DONATE button at www.mlsoulofdetroit.com. NO AMOUNT IS TOO SMALL (or too large)!
- REPRESENT! Show your Soul of Detroit pride with great merchandise, ranging from our hip trucker hats, retro keychains, masks and gaiters, super groovy hockey jerseys, comfy logo t-shirts, stickers, neon clocks and signed copies of “The Kwame Sutra: Musings on Lust, Life and Leadership from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.” Each copy includes a smart aleck inscription penned personally by ML! Open your heart, open your wallet at www.drewandmikestore.com
- Please subscribe to and share the podcast — your endorsement is very powerful!
- We always appreciate your feedback at [email protected] or 313-Butterfield8-9070 (aka 313-288-9070). If you leave a message, you could hear your voice on the air!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download