- M.L. Elrick (Twitter @elrick/Facebook ML ELRICK/Instagram ml_elrick), Shawn Windsor (Twitter @ShawnWindsor), Marc Fellhauer (Twitter @MarcFell) and Soft Magazine editor Matt Jennings (Twitter @MattRJennings) welcome a woman often seen, but seldom heard. M.L. also announces a super groovy new program, which he details at the end of the show.
- THE STRAIGHT DOPE: What better way to start a podcast than the observations of a Nobel Prize winner who has studied hundreds of years of plague novels. What to start on an upbeat note!
- Marc wonders whether the economic benefit of restarting the economy outweighs the potential human toll. Shawn drags former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie into the conversation, leading to the first time “krill” has been mentioned on the show.
- ML spruces up. Not for the show. But so he can rush to Mayor Mike Duggan’s daily briefing as soon as the show wraps. Clean socks. Jennifer Anniston movies. Jergens. Just what is Shawn doing in that garage anyway?
- She’s been seen all over the world, but never heard — until now. Stacey Hachey, the woman with the amazing hair, talks about her life hanging out behind Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and Mayor Mike Duggan, signing like mad so the hearing challenged can keep up with the latest on the coronavirus crisis. Find out more about her work at www.signingprosllc.com
- THE GREAT DEBATE: Michael Jordan is still dealing with the fallout for a comment he made 30 years ago, prompting the triumvirate to debate whether athletes should express their public opinion — and whether they should be criticized for putting profit over principle.
- GEEK OF THE WEEK: Competition for the title was fierce again this week, but the IRS is our “winner” for telling families who didn’t get their $500 per child check that they will have to wait until next year for the money they’re entitled to.
- ROOM 7609: It’s bass month in Room 7609, brought to you by Elrick Bass Guitars (www.elrick.com). Our first guest in the NuWave suite is Pino Palladino, whose virtuosity on the fretless bass made “Come Back and Stay” by Paul Young an under appreciated classic. After the song, ML shares an unbelievable tale about Young and how the situation in the video played out in reverse in real life.
- HARD OUT: Find out how you can sponsor the show and get a one-of-a-kind token of our appreciation. For a donation fo $20 or more via the link on our homepage, www.mlsoulofdetroit.com, we will record a message meant JUST FOR YOU. We call it “cam-e-soul.”
- Please be sure to let our sponsors know you heard them on the podcast! We are pretty picky about who we do businesses with, so it’s important we keep the support of business we believe will do right by you. And since we can’t go on without continued sponsor support, please let our trusted partners know you appreciate them. They really do keep track of referrals from loyal listeners like you!
- If you’re looking to sell your home or buy a better crib, we humbly recommend Lindsey Broadwell of Broadwell Homes, who you can find at BroadwellHomes.com or 248-767-7767. Make sure Lindsey knows you where you heard about her and that you’ve got SOUL.
- If you need a mortgage or want to refinance your new digs or save on high-interest debt, contact Hall Financial and let them know ML told you to call!
- When it’s time to kick back with a tasty hometown classic brew, reach for an Altes! Learn more about which stores and other quality establishments carry these authentically Detroit suds at www.altes.beer.
- Don’t lose your mind trying to make sense of the financial markets. Let Luke Nowacki of Pinnacle help you make the right decisions that will help keep you on firm financial footing. Contact Luke at www.pinnaclewealthstrategies.com and be sure to tell him you heard about him on the Soul of Detroit!
- Szott Automotive Group dealerships are BACK IN BUSINESS! Check out www.dealsintheD.com for details — and let them know ML sent you!
- You — YES, YOU — can sponsor the show by donating here. NO AMOUNT IS TOO SMALL (or too large)!
- REPRESENT! Show your Soul of Detroit pride with great merchandise, ranging from our super groovy hockey jerseys, t-shirts, stickers and signed copies of “The Kwame Sutra: Musings on Lust, Life and Leadership from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.” Each copy includes a smart aleck inscription penned personally by ML! Open your heart, open your wallet at www.drewandmikestore.com
- Please let us know if you would like to advertise, or know someone we should hit up.
- We always appreciate your feedback at [email protected] or 313-Butterfield8-9070 (aka 313-288-9070). If you leave a message, you could hear your voice on the air!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download