- Kevin Dietz dishes on his career in journalism, from Cheboygan to the Gulf War to Naked Golf — and everything in between. M.L. Elrick (Twitter @elrick/Facebook ML ELRICK/Instagram ml_elrick), Marc Fellhauer (Twitter @MarcFell) and Shawn Windsor (Twitter @ShawnWindsor) sit in rapt attention for Dietz’ rap while Joey Zuver lays down a phat beat.
- THE STRAIGHT DOPE: ML reveals the never-before-told tale of how in 2006 he was brought in to possibly replace Kevin at WDIV — and how that worked out. (Spoiler alert: By 2007, ML was back at the Free Press.)
- Kevin reflects on his career and how ill-prepared he was to become an investigative reporter after only covering women’s volleyball and basketball at Western Michigan University. (Go Broncos!)
- Marc brings up – what else – naked golf, while ML tries to focus on more weighty subjects.
- Find out what happened to Kevin when he took an anchor man with him to cover the Gulf War with little more than golf shirts.Guess where Chris Hansen got the idea to jackpot pervs on TV? None other than your boy K-Dietz.
- Keep up with Kevin at www.dietzconnect.com or on Twitter @kevincdeitz.
- GEEK OF THE WEEK: A CEO who gave front-line workers a raise, then took it away then took home his biggest ever payday also gets to take this week’s prize as GOW.
- ROOM 7609: After Bauhaus, but before Love and Rockets, Daniel Ash was kicking ass in a side project called Tones on Tail, which is all systems “Go” in the New Wave suite.
- REPRESENT! Show your Soul of Detroit pride with great merchandise, ranging from our limited-edition, hand-made in Detroit commemorate bike — available for pre-sale through May 31. We also have hip trucker hats, retro keychains, masks and gaiters, super groovy hockey jerseys, comfy logo t-shirts, stickers, neon clocks and signed copies of “The Kwame Sutra: Musings on Lust, Life and Leadership from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.” Each copy includes a smart aleck inscription penned personally by ML! Open your heart, open your wallet at www.drewandmikestore.com
- HARD OUT: Need a new ride? Roy O’Brien has been putting metro Detroiters on wheels for 74 years. Before you shop anywhere else, get on the right track to 9 Mile and Mack and check out their super groovy showroom. Find our more at www.royobrien.net.
- Stop looking so terrible and go get a haircut from Lady Janes. Visit Lady Janes website, find the nearest location and book your appointment today.
- Don’t lose your mind trying to make sense of the financial markets. Let Luke Nowacki of Pinnacle help you make the right decisions that will help keep you on firm financial footing. Contact Luke at www.pinnaclewealthstrategies.com and be sure to tell him you heard about him on the Soul of Detroit!
- If you need a mortgage or want to refinance your new digs or save on high-interest debt, contact Hall Financial at https://davidhallmortgage.com/soul or 248-308-5000 and let them know ML told you to call!
- You — YES, YOU — can sponsor the show by hitting the DONATE button at www.mlsoulofdetroit.com. NO AMOUNT IS TOO SMALL (or too large)!
- Please subscribe to and share the podcast — your endorsement is very powerful!
- We always appreciate your feedback at [email protected] or 313-Butterfield8-9070 (aka 313-288-9070). If you leave a message, you could hear your voice on the air!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download