- Every reporter has a story they thought would make a splash that instead made a thud. M.L. Elrick (Twitter @elrick/Facebook ML ELRICK/Instagram ml_elrick), Marc Fellhauer (Twitter @MarcFell) and Shawn Windsor (Twitter @ShawnWindsor) reflect on the potential blockbusters that failed to excite the public. Joey Zuver is too polite to say whether this show topic falls into that category. Plus, ML’s hubristic Yin & Shawn’s humble Yang.
- THE STRAIGHT DOPE: Get your order in before May 31 for your Soul of Detroit bike at www.drewandmikestore.com before time expires!
- Before the show gets to the subject at hand, there is a lengthy discussion of some nasty stuff, from long johns Marc found in the Big House johns to, well, we can’t blame you if you speed through the first few minutes.
- Listener Kendell asked a few weeks ago which stories seemed destined to shiver the Detroit River and shake the lake but, somehow, didn’t even make a splash. So ML goes through a litany of his exposes on mayoral expenses to public officials mistreating women to shady or slacker elected officials that did not result in a public outcry.
- The triumvirate debates why some stories provoke outrage in some places and at some times, while the same subjects have fallen flat here.
- Shawn bemoans the new emphasis on stories that will generate subscriptions and public engagement over just plain interesting stuff.
- ML says a story’s failure to elicit public interest is really a failure of the reporter/writer to demonstrate how it impacts them … then he realizes that means the failure of his fizzled stories might be because he didn’t do a good enough job!
- GEEK OF THE WEEK: Fredo Cuomo and CNN take the clown crown for their role in helping Sonny Cuomo deal with a crisis of his own making.
- ROOM 7609: Marc and Shawn have a good laugh at ML’s expense as he nobly tries to respond to the wishes of a loyal listener. After that foolishness is exhausted, the boys enjoy “Legal Tender” by the B-52s.
- FIRST AMENDMENT TIME: Shawn love … Keith Appling … and nearly a billion dollars in federal assistance dominate this week’s correspondence.
- REPRESENT! Show your Soul of Detroit pride with great merchandise, ranging from our limited-edition, hand-made in Detroit commemorate bike — available for pre-sale through May 31. We also have hip trucker hats, retro keychains, masks and gaiters, super groovy hockey jerseys, comfy logo t-shirts, stickers, neon clocks and signed copies of “The Kwame Sutra: Musings on Lust, Life and Leadership from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.” Each copy includes a smart aleck inscription penned personally by ML! Open your heart, open your wallet at www.drewandmikestore.com
- HARD OUT: Need a new ride? Roy O’Brien has been putting metro Detroiters on wheels for 74 years. Before you shop anywhere else, get on the right track to 9 Mile and Mack and check out their super groovy showroom. Find our more at www.royobrien.net.
- Stop looking so terrible and go get a haircut from Lady Janes. Visit Lady Janes website, find the nearest location and book your appointment today.
- Don’t lose your mind trying to make sense of the financial markets. Let Luke Nowacki of Pinnacle help you make the right decisions that will help keep you on firm financial footing. Contact Luke at www.pinnaclewealthstrategies.com and be sure to tell him you heard about him on the Soul of Detroit!
- If you need a mortgage or want to refinance your new digs or save on high-interest debt, contact Hall Financial at https://davidhallmortgage.com/soul or 248-308-5000 and let them know ML told you to call!
- You — YES, YOU — can sponsor the show by hitting the DONATE button at www.mlsoulofdetroit.com. NO AMOUNT IS TOO SMALL (or too large)!
- Please subscribe to and share the podcast — your endorsement is very powerful!
- We always appreciate your feedback at mlsoulofdetroit@gmail or 313-Butterfield8-9070 (aka 313-288-9070). If you leave a message, you could hear your voice on the air!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download