- Detroit Lions beat writer Dave Birkett (Twitter @DaveBirkett) has covered hope, heartbreak, hard times — everything but a playoff victory. M.L. Elrick (Twitter @elrick/Facebook ML ELRICK/Instagram ml_elrick), Marc Fellhauer (Twitter @MarcFell) and Shawn Windsor (Twitter @ShawnWindsor) ask what it’s like to stare into the oblivion for a living. Joey Zuver thinks they’re talking about HIS job!
- THE STRAIGHT DOPE: Seriously! This is your ABSOLUTELY LAST CHANCE to order your Soul of Detroit bike at www.drewandmikestore.com. SERIOUSLY!!!
- You won’t need a bike to get around downtown if you can catch a FREE ride with GEST Carts. CEO Damon Dickens talks about his alternative to Uber and Lyft … and did we mention it’s FREE? Visit www.gestcarts.com or call 313-770-2273
- This isn’t a sports podcast, so we try to connect with Detroit Lions beat writer Dave Birkett on a HUMAN LEVEL. Dave talks about how he approaches what almost always turns out to be a disappointing season.
- Shawn asks a long question. ML takes note.
- ML mounts a furious, but futile, defense of John L Smith.
- GEEK OF THE WEEK: Yet another passenger who thought she was free to move about the cabin and throw haymakers at a flight attendant wins this week’s (dis)honor.
- ROOM 7609: A FOS — Fan of Shawn — invites Adam and the Ants to perform “Here Comes the Grump” in the New Wave suite. Somehow Paul McCartney is involved.
- FIRST AMENDMENT TIME: Chloe asked last week how the City of Detroit plans to spend nearly $900 million in federal aid. ML did some digging and has some answers about how Mayor Mike Duggan wants to spend more than half of that dough.
- Michelle asked Shawn to do some digging. Listen and learn whether he came through.
- REPRESENT! Show your Soul of Detroit pride with great merchandise, ranging from our limited-edition, hand-made in Detroit commemorate bike — available for pre-sale through May 31. We also have hip trucker hats, retro keychains, masks and gaiters, super groovy hockey jerseys, comfy logo t-shirts, stickers, neon clocks and signed copies of “The Kwame Sutra: Musings on Lust, Life and Leadership from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.” Each copy includes a smart aleck inscription penned personally by ML! Open your heart, open your wallet at www.drewandmikestore.com
- HARD OUT: Need a new ride? Roy O’Brien has been putting metro Detroiters on wheels for 74 years. Before you shop anywhere else, get on the right track to 9 Mile and Mack and check out their super groovy showroom. Find our more at www.royobrien.net.
- Stop looking so terrible and go get a haircut from Lady Janes. Visit Lady Janes website, find the nearest location and book your appointment today.
- Don’t lose your mind trying to make sense of the financial markets. Let Luke Nowacki of Pinnacle help you make the right decisions that will help keep you on firm financial footing. Contact Luke at www.pinnaclewealthstrategies.com and be sure to tell him you heard about him on the Soul of Detroit!
- If you need a mortgage or want to refinance your new digs or save on high-interest debt, contact Hall Financial at https://davidhallmortgage.com/soul or 248-308-5000 and let them know ML told you to call!
- You — YES, YOU — can sponsor the show by hitting the DONATE button at www.mlsoulofdetroit.com. NO AMOUNT IS TOO SMALL (or too large)!
- Please subscribe to and share the podcast — your endorsement is very powerful!
- We always appreciate your feedback at mlsoulofdetroit@gmail or 313-Butterfield8-9070 (aka 313-288-9070). If you leave a message, you could hear your voice on the air!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download